In 1835, Colonel Thomas S. Meacham wanted to give the president of the United States a gift – not just any gift, but a colossal gift that celebrated his small farming community in upstate New York. The result was a 1,400-pound wheel of cheese. Delivered in 1836, this hunk of cheese sat in the entrance hall of the White House for over a year. The heat and humidity of the Washington D.C. summer played mischief with the cheese, causing it to stink. Find out how the president finally got rid of the smelly hunk of cheese in this slice of American history.